Monday, January 23, 2012

Winter arrives... with winter restaurant week

Baltimoreans woke up Saturday morning to a light blanket of snow and a thin layer of ice - the first storm of the season (unless you count the snow we had in October!). I wasn't brave enough to run outside on Saturday, and didn't want to run on the treadmill, so I waited until Sunday to do my six mile run (for half marathon training) - and for some company!

James and I headed to Druid Hill Park Sunday morning and ran around the lake, dodging some ice and snow - the path was far less dangerous than I thought. The run was cold (my car said it was 27 degress out) but so beautiful - not too many people were out early Sunday morning and the views from the park are quite gorgeous. You really have a bird's-eye view from the lake.
I'm getting pumped up for the March 31 half marathon!

Despite the Ravens 23-20 loss to the Patriots (they played a good game and came so far), the day ended as lovely as it began with a family dinner for Baltimore's winter restaurant week at Blue Hill Tavern. I enjoyed Rabbit Confit Spring Rolls (carrots, napa cabbage, scallions, garlic, ginger plum sauce), Sous Vide Beef Wellington (mushroom duxelle, spinach, feta cheese, puff pastry, cabernet sauvignon veal demi glaze) and Smores Pie (graham cracker crust, chocolate custard and ganache, toasted marshmallow). Yum, yum and yum.

The Smores Pie:


I've had the pleasure of dining at Blue Hill Tavern four times now and each experience has been exceptional. I'm excited for a girls night out at Pazo later this week!