Friday, December 30, 2011

Soup for the soul... and your tastebuds

Tonight I made beef and barley soup (see recipe below). A friend of mine (who is an exceptional cook) made it for me in October and I've been dying to make it. I'm so happy that I finally got around to cooking it myself!

I adjusted the recipe because the grocery store didn't have any barley.
Ingredients: 3 lbs. Chuck Roast, trimmed of fat and cut into small cubes
- 1 bag of frozen pearl onions
- 1 container of peeled and sliced cremini mushrooms (baby bellas)
- 1/2 to 1 cup barley
- 4 cups red wine
- Dried thyme
- Bay leaves

Instructions: Using a pot like a large dutch oven, brown the cubed meat, in batches, and remove to a plate to drain
- Add in the pearl onions and cook, stirring, until they thaw and are fragrant
- Add in the mushrooms and cook, stirring for a few minutes
- Add back in the beef
- Add the wine to cover the ingredients. (Can also use less wine and add in water or beef broth instead)
- Add in some thyme, a bay leaf or two, salt and pepper to taste
- Bring to a quick boil and turn down the heat to simmer, uncovered, for about 30 minutes, to reduce the wine
- Add in the barley and cook, covered, an additional 45-60 minutes on low until the alcohol is cooked off and the meat is very tender